Bed bugs are tiny and clever animals that are very good at playing hide and go seek. They are accomplished at growing and festering in hard to reach cracks and crevices. This makes it fairly difficult to know if you have a bed bug infestation or not, but it could be easier if you know what to look for, more on that later.
Bed bugs are also not so easy to identify. They are small, brown, and oval insects. Their adults have a flattened body that bloats up when it fills with blood (their food). Their body shape is similar to those of some other insects like carpet beetles so the first step here is to confirm that the insects you are seeing are indeed bed bugs.
As annoying as they can be, bed bugs are not thought to be transmitters of diseases, you have nothing to worry about on that score. Their bites can be painful though and cause inflammation of the skin and rashes.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A BED BUG INFESTATION
Can you see them? – Visual evidence is the easiest and quickest way to identify a bed bug infestation. Go on a fact-finding mission; check your bed frames, mattresses, footboards, headboards, and any furniture close to your bed. If you can find clusters of them anywhere, then you have a problem.
Behavior – Bed bugs leave straight rows of small bumps on your body. Bed bug bites can cause itchy spots, which can lead to infection if continuously scratched and they can also bite pets in the home. Note that some people may not react to bed bugs bites, as such, while one person sleeping in an infested bed may show bites, another may not. This is not a very reliable way to discover a bed bug infestation, but it can corroborate what you already suspect or know.
Stains- Be on the lookout for reddish-brown stains on your sheets and clothes. These show up anywhere bed bugs have been crushed.
Dark spots- These are tiny black or brown spots that may bleed on the sheets, mattresses, curtains, or wherever you find them. They are bed bug excrement, made up of digested blood. It is important to note that bed bugs can live up to a year without feeding.
Can you smell them?- Bed bugs have this very annoying musty odour that is hard to miss. The smell comes from their scent glands.
Shells and skins– You might find pale yellow bed bug skins that have been shed in addition to eggs and eggshells.
WHY YOU MIGHT HAVE BED BUGS
It has probably come as a shock to you that you have to deal with a bed bug infestation. Yes, it is not the best feeling, but contrary to popular belief, bed bug cases do not just affect people in unclean living conditions. How then did you manage to have a bedbug infestation on your hands? Here are some reasons:
– Buying pre-owned furniture, trips, and unknowingly visiting an affected home are common origins of a bed bug problem.
– When you are just coming back from a hotel, be sure to thoroughly check your belongings for bed bugs.
– Guests visiting your home can also bring bed bugs with them unknowingly.
– As a general rule, when you go to a public space, take the extra time to make sure that you are not an unwitting carrier of bed bugs. As you can see, there are many different ways you can get a bed bug infestation in your home. In apartments, often one apartment with a bed bug problem can spread the bugs to neighbors.
You don’t have to feel awkward about a bed bug infestation. Many times it is beyond your control. We are here to help make sure your home will be bedbug-free by the end of our bed bug treatment.
REASONS TO TREAT YOUR BED BUG PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY
Bed Bugs begin to multiply in your home if you do not treat it quickly. More bed bugs mean more bites, a greater chance of spreading bugs to your family and friends, and a more difficult time getting rid of a bigger infestation. Still not sure yet? Here are some more reasons why you need to fix your bug problem as quickly as you can:
– Some people can develop mild to extreme allergic reactions from bed bug bites. This is a bit like how some people react to being stung by bees. If this happens to you, you should seek medical attention immediately.
– A bed bug bite can get infected. This rarely happens, but sometimes, a bed bug bite can be scratched until it bleeds which then allows pathogens and germs to infect the wound.
– Bed bugs can cause insomnia which can in turn lead to other health issues. If you have to wake up every 30 minutes in the middle of the night to scratch bed bug bites, you would not be getting much sleep, would you?
HOW TO HANDLE BED BUG INFESTATION
As soon as you confirm a bed bug infestation, the first thing you should do is to call an experienced bed bug exterminator. We are exactly the right company to call, we have a team of reliable and highly professional bed bug exterminators to help you get rid of those annoying bugs.
Our bed bug treatment is highly effective and takes care of both live bed bugs and any hidden bed bug eggs. By calling one of our trusted experts, you are taking the first step to reclaiming your life and sanity from a bed bug problem.
We will perform a proper evaluation of the situation and then decide on an effective treatment course. Then we will go at it until we have eliminated every trace of the bed bug infestation. After this, we still perform checks every few weeks to make sure that none of the bugs are remaining.
You do not need to put your health or your peace of mind at risk because of an infestation of bed bugs. We are here to help you, get in touch today, you will be glad you did.